Time Management Techniques for Better Efficiency
We all know what is time management & that it is an important skill. But when we sit down to work, we get distracted & then comes in the ability to prioritize!
Organising our tasks, planning their flow & scheduling other tasks form an essential part of the time management skills and has become of great importance today given the tight deadlines & work pressure. Maureen O’Connell is of the belief that the benefits of great time management skills apply to both the business and its employees. When employees’ working hours are managed to best effect, they tend to be happier & more creative as well as productive. For the business, this means lower absenteeism, innovation and employee advocacy.
Here are some of the time management tips that you can use to improve your organizational skills and increase productivity. The more of these you learn to use, the more that you will get done each day.
- Delegate Tasks– Task Delegation does not mean that you are shying away from your responsibilities, rather it is an important aspect of Time management. One should learn to distribute work to subordinates as per their skills and abilities.
- Prioritize– Before the start of the day, make a To- do list of tasks that need your immediate attention. Some tasks need to be completed on that day only while other unimportant tasks could be carried forward to next day.
- Avoid stress– Stress often occurs when we accept more work than our ability. Hence, learn to say NO to the tasks if you think you are already overloaded!
- Keep tight deadlines– Keeping tightrope deadlines will help you in completing your tasks on time!
- Take refreshing breaks- Whenever you find time yourself for 10-15 minutes, take a break. Take a walk, listen to some music or do some quick stretches.
- Try to have an uninterrupted work session – During a study, it was found that one hour of ‘uninterrupted’ work yielded work equivalent to three hours of ‘interrupted’ work session in a normal work environment.
Time management skills are very important for success in business, whether you’re a solo freelancer or managing a team. These few tips will help you take control of your time.